There are several companies and non-profit organizations that train Seeing Eye dogs for the visually impaired. The criteria for a blind person to receive a guide dog varies according to organization, however the following is a general summary of qualifications that are typical.
- Mature physical, mental, and emotional capability to handle guide dog training
- Sufficient loss of vision so as not to interfere in the safe and effective working relationship of the dog
- Sufficient hearing to manage the relationship with the dog
- Independent travel skill sets
- Conducive living and working environment for the effective use and care of a guide dog
- Adult age at 18 years
A brief search using keywords such as “seeing eye dog,” “guide dog for blind,” or the like will prompt a series of organizations providing this resource. You will want to find an organization local to you so you can participate in the training process.