What types of careers can I obtain with a Master’s Degree or Higher?
There are many different types of jobs you can obtain with either a Master’s degree, Ph.D., medical degree or more. To follow are a few noted as the fastest growing occupations requiring a Master’s degree or higher by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Veterinarian – Vets provide health care services for pets, livestock and zoo, sporting and laboratory animals. To become a veterinarian, you must earn a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree.
- Mental Health Counselor – Counselors in this occupation treat mental and emotional disorders of individuals.
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Worker – Social workers provide counseling, individual and group therapy, crisis intervention, outreach and training in living skills to people with substance abuse problems.
- Marriage and Family Therapist – Therapists in this occupation aid individuals, families and couples in resolving emotional and relationship conflicts.
- Physical Therapist – PTs offer services that restore patient’s physical mobility skills, relieve pain and prevent or limit permanent physical disabilities. To become a physical therapist, you need a Master’s degree at a minimum, although some employers require a doctoral degree.
- Physician Assistant – Medical practitioners who provide diagnostic, therapeutic and preventive health care services.
- Occupational Therapist – OTs aid people with disabling conditions, helping them to improve their ability to perform tasks in their daily living and occupational environments.
- Environmental Scientist and Specialist – Conduct research to help protect the environment and identify hazards to people and wildlife. One must have a minimum of a Master’s degree to work in this field.
- Hydrologist – Scientists who study the quantity, distribution, circulation and physical properties of underground and surface waters.
- Curator – Individuals in this occupational role act as the managers of institutions to include museums, zoos, botanical gardens and more. They help to acquire, store and exhibit collections. Curators have a minimum of a Master’s degree.
The occupations listed below are some well-paid jobs that require a Graduate degree of some sort.
- Physicist / Astronomer
- Financial Manager
- Speech Therapist
- Management Analyst
- Medical Scientist
- Urban Planner
- Physical Therapist
There are many other types of jobs you can obtain with a master’s degree, Ph.D. or medical degree. If interested, you might recruit a career services organization to help you find a career of interest to you. Career services organizations can be found via online searches in your area or by browsing your local yellow pages.