What types of jobs can I obtain with a high school diploma?
As a high school graduate, you have many options for career choices that do not require a college education. You can obtain these jobs with a high school diploma or a GED (high school equivalency degree). People interested in these particular occupations can receive on the job training or training through special high school courses or vocational schools. Here are some careers that might be of interest to you:
- Cashier – You can be a cashier at a supermarket, department store, salon or other retail location. There are not any educational requirements beyond a high school diploma for these positions.
- Cook/Food Preparation – You can launch into a culinary career as a cook or food preparation worker, preparing foods for a variety of restaurants, cafeterias, fast food chains or other food service establishments. Skills for this work are typically learned on the job.
- HR Assistant – If you are interested in maintaining the personnel records for an organization’s employees, you can begin a career as an HR assistant with a high school diploma and on-the-job training.
- Administrative Assistant – Many organizations today will hire individuals for administrative roles with a high school diploma and on the job training. Often people interested in this job should possess good communication and computer skills.
- Cosmetologist – You could begin a career performing manicures, hair styling, makeup application or more. To be a cosmetologist, you may or may not need a high school diploma (depending on the state in which you reside). However, you will need to become licensed from a state licensed barber or cosmetology school and be at least 16 years of age.
- Retail Sales – Many retail employers prefer candidates for retail sales positions to have a high school diploma. Those in retail sales positions help customers to make merchandise purchasing decisions. These can be clothing stores, beauty supply stores, shoe stores, electronic retailers or more.
- Travel Agent – With a high school diploma and good computer skills, you can launch into a career as a travel agent.
- Physical Therapy Aide – Aides support physical therapists to conduct therapy sessions. To become a Physical Therapy Aide, one must have a high school diploma and on-the-job training.
- Occupational Therapist Aide – OT Aides prepare materials and equipment used by Occupational Therapists during treatment, along with performing administrative duties. You can begin a career as an OT Aide with a high school diploma and on-the-job training.
There are many other types of jobs you can obtain with a high school diploma. If interested, you might recruit a career services organization to help you find a career of interest to you. Career services organizations can be found via online searches in your area or by browsing your local yellow pages.
I dropped out of high school. How can I finish and get my diploma? Tell me more